Метамодернизм и постсоветский консервативный авангард: Новая Академия Тимура Новикова
- Datum: 17 oktober, kl. 15.15–17.00
- Plats: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES) Gamla torget 3, 3 vån, IRES Bibliotek
- Föreläsare: Maria Engström is Associate Professor of Russian, Department of Modern Languages at Uppsala University and School of Humanities and Media Studies at Dalarna University, Sweden. Among her publications are numerous articles and essays on topics related to contemporary Russian literature and culture, the Orthodox Church and Russian politics, the post- Soviet right- wing intellectual environment, post- Soviet conservatism in art and politics, Russian utopianism and Soviet science fiction, the Russian language and the new media.
- Arrangör: Institute for Russian and Eurasian Studies (IRES)
- Kontaktperson: Jevgenija Gehsbarga
- Telefon: 018 471 1630
Maria Engström's presentation deals with the neo-academism movement, which has been launched in Leningrad in 1989 by Timur Novikov (1958-2002), an artist and an art theorist. The New Academy of Fine Arts became the first community of an aesthetic ”reactionism” and in many respects anticipated the ideological conservative turn of the mid-2010s. Engström interprets the neo-academism as an attempt to overcome the artistic practices of postmodernism and as the first metamodernist movement in the post-Soviet visual arts.